Further Exploring with RawGraphs

 To continue on from my previous post, I further explored visualizing data and data sets with another platform called RawGraphs. For some reason, this seemed to have a bit of a more modern twist to it. I have to do some research and find out what year each site was created--I will get back to you all on that!

So because I will be getting my certification to teach Biology for grades 5-12 (hopefully!) I was drawn into choosing the sample data set of the Animal Kingdom Classifications. This was a much smaller data set compared to my previous one of top 1000 IMDB movies. That's 1000 versus this one had 65 rows. It's funny because I thought 65 would be much easier to work with and visualize, however towards the end, my graph still looked very crowded to me. 

In RawGraphs, I noticed there were A LOT more options for chart types. Some of them I had never even heard of. From dendrograms to sunburst, there is a chart type for every preference! I think this is cool because if someone had a unique set of data, they could play around with all of these different chart types and choose one that fits their own set of data. For me and my animal kingdom classifications, I first chose the Alluvial diagram, but later, I was playing around with it some more and ended up choosing a Linear Dendrogram too. I like how both of these were linear and almost in a landscape-like setup. I really liked how I was able to visualize the data in these two graphs. It helped me see the flow from all of the different areas. 










Comments

  1. Ayesha,
    I am so glad to see that you gave Raw Graphs a try.
    I really liked what you said about the variety (and clever names) of the types of data visualizations.
    I think of them as storytelling tools, and they let you tell more interesting stories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment