Working with TurtleBlocks

Whew! Where do I start?! I will honestly admit that this week's tech assignment was a very challenging one. I know I had no prior knowledge of coding before this class, but I did not expect it to be this difficult. When our professor first introduced TurtleBlocks to the class, it seemed daunting, but I actually did catch on to the tasks we were instructed to do. As our assignment for this week, which was to write the code for our name in TurtleBlocks, was announced, I was a little scared. Little did I know that fear would turn into apprehension and frustration. When I started trying to work on the assignment, I felt optimistic. I began playing around with the few blocks that I was familiar with. To my disadvantage, I did not know how to use majority of the blocks. I tried using forward, right, backward, and left, but I just could not get the sequence right. I attempted this several times with no relief. This was it, I thought. I will just tell my professor that I tried but I was unable to write the code for my name. I couldn't even get the first letter! I did not know what else to do. I am not sure if this is even allowed, but I reached out to my friend who has a degree in IT. Although he had never worked with TurtleBlocks before, he was kind enough to help me out. We began tackling it together. It took many attempts and perseverance, but we finally figured out a method to the madness! I had to slow down and go step by step playing it to draw each letter. I was finally able to make sense of it. Once I got the first letter, A, I was SO happy!! This motivated me to keep going. I quickly started working on the next letter, Y. However, when I played it, there was a line connecting the A and Y. I wasn't sure how to make a "space" between the letters, so I decided to maybe change the color of that line to white so it would be hidden. Another problem was that the angle was off. I figured out that the whole page was on a X,Y graph, so I had to estimate where each letter would be on the graph and I used that X,Y block as well. This was very helpful! I was able to space my letters out. I also discovered the action block which I used for each letter. So I just plugged that action into each letter's starting block with the angle block too. I also included the text color as well to differentiate the letter colors. I must point out that this assignment took me 2-3 hours to complete. I was very frustrated at first and was very close to giving up. With a little bit of assistance, I found my way and worked at it til I got my final product. Please see my beautiful masterpiece below :) 



Comments

  1. Hi Ayesha,

    I actually thought this week's assignment was fun. Even though my verbal interactions with the turtles could have been part of a comedy skit, I eventually found some creative solutions as did you. I see you learned to use the action command which I'll be interested to learn from you next class. I'm also wondering how you got your turtles to be so colorful? Mine came out different shades of the same color. Is this the whole code in your screenshot? I'm just wondering because I see 6 turtles but only 3 commands. You're right! The letter A is tricky and so is the E. Now imagine level 2 trying to make them all lower cases.

    I'm glad your happy with your masterpiece at the end of the day, and a masterpiece it is but it ranks number 2 next to falafol!

    Best,

    Mr. Baldi 2021

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ayesha - this looks awesome! I actually didn't think about using different turtles to draw each letter. I was having issues with orienting my turtle after finishing each letter. Great idea and really nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ayesha,
    This looks awesome. You created a new game: Names with Friends!
    I can't wait to discuss this with you during class later today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment