Data/Data Visualization Learning Activity

Welcome back to my fun technology blog! Today I worked on creating a fun learning activity for my future students! Since I will be teaching Biology, I thought it would be a great idea to stick to the Animal Kingdom idea that we went over during last class. Please enjoy my design of a Data/Data Visualization Learning Activity!


Name of Activity: Animal Kingdom Classifications

Grade Level(s) targeted: 10th grade

Content Area(s) targeted: Biology


Learning Objectives:

Students will learn about the many different classifications of animals. They will understand that each animal belongs to a Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, and Family. They will use RawGraphs to visualize this and organize the graph. They will have the opportunity to play around with the data set and have it cater to how they want to see it.


Describe the activity:

Students will navigate onto RawGraphs. They will load in the data that I will provide to them. Working in groups of 2 or 3, students will work together to create a data set. They will choose a graph that is most fitting for the data. They will play around with customizing the data and choose how it will be visualized. This activity can be done in one class period, about 45-55 minutes.


Resources:

Students will need either a computer or laptop. I will organize this activity on a day where my class is able to work in the computer lab. Students will also need to have access to their school emails, where I will send them the data set which we will be working with.


Exemplars:

I am not particularly inclined to provide an exemplar because I do not want my students to just simply copy from that. I want them to explore with RawGraphs and come up with their own data visualizations.


Assessment:

I will assess my students' work by having each group present their work to the class. This will take up another class period for all of the students to present. They will tell the class how they loaded the data, how they played around with and why they chose that specific graph. They will also take some time to tell the class about what they learned from this activity, content wise and technology wise.


Comments

  1. Hi Ayesha,

    This is a great activity. It's very student centered and keeps them occupied doing rather than passively listening to a lecture and falling asleep. I'm curious what prior knowledge your students are expected know? I'm just wondering how good they'll be at raw graphs when they are probably still learning how to graph manually and use excel. I think an exemplar is good here as I doubt your students will be able to find it online easily. I like your assessment strategy; but does it come with a rubric?

    Awesome job, Best,

    Baldi 2021

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment